Advantages of Gastric Sleeve
The gastric sleeve, while relatively new in the bariatric world, has become a viable option for those seeking surgical intervention for their obesity.
Excess Weight Loss Potential
The gastric sleeve offers similar excess body weight loss potential to gastric bypass to over 60%-70%1
Gastric sleeve offers excellent disease resolution or improvement potential when paired with a lifestyle change, healthy diet and exercise regimen.1
- Resolution or improvement of type-2 diabetes
- Resolution or improvement of High Cholesterol
- Resolution or improvement of High Blood Pressure
- Resolution or improvement of Sleep Apnea
- Because there is no rerouting of the small intestine, as in gastric bypass surgery, gastric sleeve patients will not have malabsorption which means that they often have fewer nutritional consequences and/or dietary restrictions.
- Since there is no foreign body implanted in the abdomen patients do not have to be concerned with slippage and erosions and other potential complications unique to gastric banding.
- Gastric sleeve does not require as much follow up as a gastric band. No adjustments are needed
- During the creation of the sleeve gastrectomy , most of the hunger producing hormone ghrelin is removed, which in turn, means that some patients will not have as many hunger cravings. Other hormones are also affected which can lead to earlier satiety or a sense of fullness.
- The gastrointestinal system function is not altered, allowing for normal digestion.
1 Shi X, Karmali S, Sharma AM, et al. A review of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy for morbid obesity. Obes Surg. 2010;20(8):1171-1177. – See more at: http://www.realize.com/references#sthash.E8Yf28be.dpuf